Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Make Earth day Every day...

Here are some habits I've successfully changed this past year:

1. carpooling (once a week last school year) and biking (once a week this year, except for "deep winter" (i know keep laughing you folks who live in "real winter")
2. using cloth/canvas bags at stores (ALL stores, not just for groceries) The hardest part is moving fast enough (especially for those Target baggers)
3. recycling paper in my classroom (yes, I lug it home once a month. We are working on setting up a formal program at school.)


And some I am still working on:

1. using disposable dishes (plastic bottles and cups, silverware, and paper plates)
2. composting
3. growing some herbs/veggies

Happy Earth day..hug someone on Earth today, and Every day!

Now let's hear your ideas...and victories- comment people! I know there are at least 5 regular readers!!!

3 comments:

elizabethanddennis said...

Ideas?
-Do you turn off the water when you brush your teeth--probably living where you do..
-install compact flurescent bulbs
-use washclothes instead of disposable paper towels/dishsponges
--use both sides of the paper
-bring your lunch/drinks and do so in reusable containers
-get an energy audit on your house
Just a couple to get you going...

Anonymous said...

We recycle anything and everything we can. Our neighborhood is very good about sending out reminders and announcements about what you can and can not recycle.

We use cloth bags at stores (or no bags since I carry a large purse)

We changed all the lightbulbs to flurescent bulbs (accept the lights that are on dimmers)

We bought energy efficient kitchen appliances and low water potties when we moved into the house, and recently had our water flow gage reduced.

We are remodeling our home and plan to "go green" as much as possible. A couple items on the list are replacing all the old windows for better insulation and installing bamboo wood flooring.

Auggie drives a Mini Cooper and I work at home. Both save on gas.

I am now buying "green" cleaning products since they are so readily available now (I have even made my own at home with my collection of essential oils). It used to be they were only available at stores like Whole Foods Market. Now I can buy them at my local supermarket.

Hmmm. Can't think of anything else. I like Elizabeth's idea about getting an energy audit on your home. We should all do that so we know where we can improve.

soliluna said...

yay- thanks for these great ideas, girls!
E-I love the reusable lunch container idea; I may need to design one and market it as a set! heehee Also like the washcloth idea; some people are going back to cloth diapers too but there is the debate that washing them out uses energy too.
G-low water potties? too cool!! Glad you're trying to remodel green- I know E. is too!

J called me with her comments so I'll add them here:

1. she is teaching 4th and 5th about all this and instilling the values of earthkeeping in them! Way to go, J!!!

Now for the other 2 readers??? c'mon tico joe and company!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin