The weather has been warm and windy since yesterday; as a result there are yet again wildfires burning. The Montecito fire destroyed 111 homes in Santa Barbara Thursday and Friday, the Sayre fire was reported at 10:29 p.m. yesterday in Sylmar and now covers 2600 acres and 10000 people have been evacuated. This second fire is pretty close to our valley; just south over the hill so we have a lot of smoke coming our way.
Thursday night we went to a great concert at The Canyon Club in Encino, about a 30 mile drive southwest. We heard Glenn Phillips from Toad the Wet Sprocket and then Jonatha Brooke, a singer-songwriter favorite of mine. She has just released a new album written by combining her music with bits of lyrics she found in the music library of Woody Guthrie. Pretty amazing. Unfortunately, Glenn lives in the area of Santa Barbara that had just started burning, so he was anxious to get home. I was surprised he even played the concert. He switched billing and played first, and kept saying things between tunes like "Well, my neighborhood's on fire. My wife can see flames from the driveway. I won't be hanging out tonight; I need to go home and evacuate." Poor guy. I hope his home was spared.
No comments:
Post a Comment