Friday, December 7, 2007

Holiday Cheer


Weekend To-Do List
1. Mail 1 Hannukah box (it's not too late; there are still a few days of Hannukah left!)
2. Pick out our tree. We are getting a real tree, this year. (My first ever) I have always been happy with the trusty vintage silver tree my mom used to use in the 60's, but I guess we need to "christen" the house on it's first holiday.
3. Decorate said tree.
4. Look at gas logs for the fireplace. (Apparently, the fireplace in our place has never been used; it is wood-burning and gas too. We are choosing to go with gas.)
5. crochet a scarf. (I am a knitter, if I am anything. Just ask my mom about my finger-crochet technique)
I'm sure the weekend will be peppered with mundane chores and dismal errands (especially if the weather keeps up but the funny thing is, I'm starting to acclimate to California winters. (If that sounds like an oxymoron to you, today's low temp. was 40 degrees with icy rain. yuck, but actually cozy for spending the day in kindergarten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to hire a chimney specialist to come to our house and show me how to use our fireplace. My husband was born and raised on the island of Puerto Rico and I spent the last 20 years in South Florida...what do we know about fireplaces? LOL

Apparently, it did not need to be cleaned and is ready for use. It has a gas starter, but is a wood burning fire. He taught me how and I am excited about using our fireplace for the first time.

Now, if it would just stay cold. We keep getting these cold fronts that last only a short while, but then the temp goes back to the seventies. At least we have some really nice color on the trees and everyone has already put up their holiday decorations (including us). It sure does look Christmas-y around here. Yay.

Have fun picking out your real tree! I bought an artificial tree. It is 7 1/2 feet tall, pre-lit and even has little pine cones on it. Of course, we dressed it up with nice ornaments and fun things. It looks beautiful. You can see it sparkling through the window in our front door. I do not quite trust our three dogs with a real tree yet. I envision Sherman peeing, jumping, or otherwise tearing up a real tree. Maybe when he gets a bit older we will try a real one. I am sure they smell wonderful!

Well, we are off to take Shelby and Sherman to get their pictures taken with Santa! I will email them to you afterward!

Happy Holidays!
Gretchen

Unknown said...

What an adorable Christmas tree ornament! Is there a real size one?
For those interested in vintage Christmas Trees, this one came from the Grant store in Warren, PA. It fit atop a small barrel turned upside down in my 8X32 ft. trailer that I called home. I had blue accents--blue tree cloth, blue satin balls, and an "angel" with a blue dress.
W. T. Grant
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about W. T. Grant stores, for the namesake founder, see William Thomas Grant

W. T. Grant was the name of a chain of United States-based mass-merchandise stores founded by William Thomas Grant. The stores were generally of the dime store format located in downtowns.

In 1906 the first "W. T. Grant Co. 25 Cent Store" opened in Lynn, Massachusetts. Modest profit, coupled with a fast turnover of inventory, caused the stores to grow to almost $100 million a year in sales by 1936, the same year that William Thomas Grant started the W. T. Grant Foundation. By the time Mr. Grant died in 1972, at age 96, his nationwide empire of W. T. Grant Stores had grown to almost 1,200.

Grant's stores were slower than the Kresge stores to adapt to the growth of the suburb and the change in shopping habits that this entailed. The attempt to correct this was belated; by the late 1960s there were some "Grant City" stores, but unlike Kresge's Kmart they were not of uniform sizes or layouts, meaning that a shopper in one did not immediately feel "at home" in another. The chain's demise in 1975 was in part due to a failure to adapt to changing times but was probably considerably accelerated by management's refusal until it was too late to eliminate the shareholder dividend; even after the company began to lose money, funds were borrowed to pay the quarterly dividend until this became impossible. A last-gasp tactic to stay in business involved requiring each Grant's clerk and cashier unfailingly to offer a Grant's credit card application to customers in order to boost sales in the stores.

Grant's store-branded electronic and other goods were "Bradford" after Bradford County, Pennsylvania, the county where William Thomas Grant was born.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin