Friday, July 1, 2011

A Week in the Life Day 1: Friday, July 1

The day began at 7:30 with all five of us (including Luna the cat) vying for space in our queen size bed. Laney had come in to feed a bit earlier and stayed; I think O. had been in since 1 or 2 am, which is typical ever since Laney's arrival in late January. We woke up to say good-bye to daddy when he left for work around 7:50, and went downstairs to make breakfast after changing Laney's diaper and dressing her in a hot pink onesie and giraffe print dress, her new shoes, and a hot pink bow. (This after I asked Owen to bring Laney some clothes. He obliged with a blue smocked dress that had been mine as a baby and then a combo of a bathing suit and black patent shoes.:) I made scrambled eggs and wheat toast with milk for Owen and had an egg burrito, decaf, and two slices of french bread with melted chocolate chips myself. (I rarely start a day without some form of chocolate. Helps ease the pain of less quality sleep. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.) Around 8:30 we headed back upstairs for me and Owen to get dressed. I try to have him pick out his own clothes but he's not really interested so we went with plaid shorts and a basic white tee with sandals. I quickly grabbed my standard summer uniform of yoga pants and a tank top, paired with flip flops. I packed the kids in their carseats, grabbed water and a snack for O (along with a bag of toys and books), topped off my travel mug with decaf, and headed toward my school. Though it was technically not a workday, I had a tough job ahead. Just yesterday, I had been shocked with the news that one of my student's from this past year lost his father in an accidental drowning last Sunday evening, while swimming with the kids. Today i would be helping the principal translate as he called the family to check about services and how they were doing. I spoke with a brother-in-law, and found out there would be a kermesse for fundraising on Sunday at a local park, and that funeral arrangements had not been made as of yet. The kids were fine waiting on me, and after we headed to the school playground for a few minutes, before the sunny hot equipment made us leave and go to a local shady park instead.

We arrived at the park around 10 AM, but Owen wasn't really happy with his sandals so we swang and ate a snack, I fed Laney and then left to head home. We had an early lunch around 11:15, and changed diapers, caught the recycling truck pick-up, and freshened up to head to My Gym free play around 12:15. I decided to grab a cold Starbucks on the way, so we drove over to the drive thru Starbucks ( a little out of the way but totally worth not having to get kids in/out again). Then we headed to My Gym, but both kids were asleep by the time we got there at 12:45. This has been happening ever since the Costa Rica trip, they fall asleep within five minutes of getting in the car. I let O. sleep til 1 while feeding L., (a little over a half-hour), then loaded Laney in the stroller and carried O inside. He woke up and had fun playing til 1:45, then we headed to a lemonade stand put on by my friend's daughter and her two friends. It was great fun watching O. pay his one dollar for a lemonade and three cookies (two for mom and dad!)

Then we had a bit of difficulty as he was hot and overtired and simply wouldn't be put in the carseat. It literally took an hour to leave the lemonade stand and head home. We finally had to call daddy at work to help. Tough. Once we got home it was about 3:45 so Owen had his afternoon snack and we hung out playing quietly in the A/C til daddy got home around 5. Momma headed out with Laney to visit the student's family who had lost their father, while daddy stayed home with O. When I got home around 6:15, O. was asleep on daddy's lap, and Laney was asleep in the car, so we loaded up both sleeping kids and went to get dinner at CPK. O. loved his honey chicken pizza, and momma and daddy enjoyed half salads and focaccia. We got home around 7:55 for momma to feed Laney and daddy to start the bedtime routine. L. fell asleep by 9 but Owen was in and out of his bed until 9:30.

Finally there was time to straighten up, check the bank accounts, blog a little, and crash! TGIF!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin