Saturday, August 18, 2007

Robyn

Today is the birthday of my mother-in-law, Robyn. She passed away three years ago tomorrow, and I miss her. I was lucky enough to spend time with her, though. I wanted to share the ways I keep her alive. Since I have fewer memories of experiences with her to think about, most of these are symbolic objects.

* the garden bunny~ given by D's parents the first year we dated. It sits under the first hanging light in our small backyard garden; a flowered ring around it's neck. It is a sentry and guardian angel of our home.

* my fuzzy white and baby blue footie socks ~ also a gift from them the first christmas we dated; whenever I wear them I feel comforted.

*the yellow gerbera daisy flower decoration in the kitchen~ sent by D's parents the first spring we dated. (I also used Gerbera daisies on my wedding cake and in my bridesmaids' bouquets...in the wedding colors of burnt orange and cranberry, as well as a few yellows thrown in to symbolize the bright sunny yellow flower in my kitchen which reminds me of R's warm, sunny disposition.)

*up until this year, I had several small bottles of bath and bodyworks bubble bath from D's folks, which originally arrived in a ceramic bath tub container along with a small stuffed Arctic seal. When I missed her, or wished I could talk with her, I would take a bubble bath. I used the last of it just before we moved to the new house. The seal, with it's miniature baby blue scarf is waiting in the "future baby box" to be given to R's first grandchild at some point.

These are the small daily ways which help me get through the moments when R's absence hits me like a wave. I cannot even begin to imagine the depth of the feelings of her boys.

Today we will light a candle and leave it burning as we think and talk and remember RR.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As always, I send lots of warm, loving wishes to you, D, and the rest of the family. :)

Love always,
Gretchen

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin