Wednesday, June 20, 2007

countdown

The countdown has begun...only 2 more days of school and 3 days until I'm officially on VACATION! Today we took a K-1 field trip to the Getty Center. It was a gorgeous day and we enjoyed the tram up the hill and a special docent-led storytime tour of three paintings. Then we visited the gardens and took the tram back down the hill for lunch. Due to absences I only had 17 kids and when we arrived back at school at 1:15 five more left. So, the last dozen and I spent a quiet afternoon beginning to pack up the classroom and of course building a model of the tram and the museum out of wooden blocks. This year we have built Los Angeles City Hall (complete with it's little red light at the top of the pyramid tower), the Leaning Tower of Pisa (yes it leaned), The Long Beach Aquarium (with rectangular prism sharks and cylindrical seals), and the various monuments of Washington D.C.

At home, a typical evening this week begins with a swim and a dip in the hot tub (truly feels like Florida) and a quiet dinner watching either Law and Order or CSI repeats. (Sometimes we do make an effort to have dinner without the TV). Swimming has been fantastic, and I am so excited to have a pool again. D. has been out riding his bike as well (in fact yesterday he was waiting for me at the train station!)

AFter dinner, I study Mexican culture and history along with immigration issues until I fall asleep with the book on my stomach. It's been very interesting reading, actually!

Tomorrow will be my last day riding the train, as I plan to drive into the city Friday in order to pack up the rest of my teaching materials. Hopefully I can take some pix of the last trip!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin