Monday, June 4, 2007

Public Transit Rider

Today was my first day as a public transit commuter. I bought my 10-trip ticket from the automatic machine at the Newhall station at 8:24 am. I chatted with an older Filipina woman while waiting on the 9 am antelope valley line metrolink train that originated in Lancaster. At boarding I sat in the first available seat inside the door and was joined by a young girl in her early to mid-twenties who is graduating with a degree in child development tomorrow. The 45 minute train trip went fast and I soon found myself bustling down the cement ramp into the Union Station tunnel with dozens of other riders. (That part literally feels like a rat race, and you don't dare stop or slow down for fear of being trampled.) I made my way up to the bus plaza and soon saw the 745 rounding the bend. The trip down Broadway took about 20 minutes and all told I made it to school in an hour and a half. I left school at 4:30, walked to the bus stop and made it to Union Station about 5:10. I validated my ticket for the return trip and found my double decker limo on track 3b. This time, being a "seasoned" rider, I made my way up to the upper level and found a spot. I think it's a great alternative to driving, and I enjoyed watching all the corporate types and company shuttles supporting their employees use of public transportation. Let's just hope I still think so in 3 weeks. Coincidentally (for anyone who cares), my ridership and Paris' jail sentence will both last for the next three weeks. I'm trying to post a map of the transit line but we'll see how that goes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin