I will admit, I spend an inordinate amount of time reading blogs. There are blogs on every topic, from autism to realty to the olympics. It's overload. But that's what happens when, over the course of five years or so, anyone anywhere can write about anything and "publish" it online in a (very) public forum. Of course there are the mommyblogs, where proud moms chronicle their babies' lives as a type of scrapbook for themselves and for friends and relatives near and far (as well as anyone else who happens across them). I love these blogs for many reasons. Some of them chronicle families' international adoption journeys from places like Russia and Haiti. A blog of this type was the first one I ever read in 2005. I have enjoyed coming across old friends while blogging, like E. at A Swoop and a Dart, a high school friend who I haven't seen in person in 17 years but with whom I "keep up" via blogging. I have so enjoyed her clever writing and watching her beautiful daughters grow. Blogs also allow me to keep in touch with friends and family who live far away, such as E. and her cutie pies at Watch Us Go. I have come across interesting families in places like Texas and Idaho whom I follow via their blogs as if they were soap operas. Some blogs are like soap operas. It is striking how much some people have to go through and deal with in one lifetime. I think that sometimes people forget the blogs are public. After all, they write them alone in a room with a computer, right? The mommybloggers are pretty careful about not identifying people by full names or taking pictures of street names where they live, but believe it or not, I have accidentally come across blogs of people I know in real life (by following links on other random blogs). Then I have to read the blog like a mystery novel. How many clues will I find to confirm that this person is who I think it is? And while some of these are innocent blogs chronicling daily life for future generations, others reveal way too much, in my humble opinion.
I originally started blogging due to a cross-country move away from family and friends. I stuck with it because I enjoy writing, but sometimes reading other blogs makes you realize you just don't have that much to say, comparatively. That can be interpreted in two ways:
*my life is blessed
*my life is boring
I choose blessed, but I am certainly going through a lull in the blog. After all, my blog topic today is blogging itself. hmmm.
I know there are about a dozen faithful readers of casitaluna, half friends, half family. One or two leave comments(thanks G/E!) but I'm actually glad it's sort of a quiet blog. I wonder how many bloggers back up their blogs somewhere?
1 comment:
I got way behind in the world of my own blog-reading this summer... blogs are such a funny thing. Funny in a if-I-think-too-hard-about-their-public-nature-I-will-cry kind of way... sort of. Without readers, I've learned, I just don't write. It probably doesn't say good things about my character somehow, but there you have it. I never wrote this much before my blog... and I wouldn't trade all that writing for anything, but if I think too hard about the who is reading question... eeeeeeee (not that I'm worried about you, but you know what I mean, hee hee)
Post a Comment