Saturday, August 2, 2008

Italy-Day 6










Our sixth day in Italy was a Sunday. We had been advised by the chef/owner not to eat lunch before dining at his osteria Sunday evening so I took that advice and skipped breakfast too! In reality, my system was relieved to have a break. The boys, however, joined the wine course offered by our agriturismo which started at 10 am. They had a tour of the vineyard and the wine cellar, learned about the wine, and finished with a four course wine lunch. They returned about 2 pm and napped. I spent the day reading Vanilla Beans and Brodo and watching the German tourists swim in the pool. Around 5 or 6 pm we headed back into Montepulciano to Osteria Acquacheta.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the restaurant is small and there are two seatings, 7:30 and 9:00. We arrived about 7 and hung outside until they opened. We were seated with a couple from Mount Dora, Florida who have been to Montepulciano half a dozen times and had eaten there before. They were known for their Florentine steaks. The chef/owner had a Krameresque quality about him, and appeared to sketch out the steak on our placemats, then bring out the raw steak to show us, and finally to figure the bill (again on placemats). It was a wonderful meal, followed with a dessert of fresh ricotta and honey which D. loved but I didn't. (In the pic I hadn't taken my first bite yet)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin