I've always been a fan of Starbucks. Not just because of the addictive caffeine and pretty green straws (although both contribute), but also because I enjoy observing their marketing. Season after season, specialty drinks would appear, and it was only after several years that I realized you could actually order most of them anytime of the year. Take the Peppermint Mocha, for example. This is like a liquid peppermint patty. And you can get one whenever you want! The one mistake I think the company has made in terms of menu offerings was the removal of Valencia syrup. Yes, it's orange. But it was so much more than that. Before I found the Peppermint Mocha, Mocha Valencia was the WAY TO GO.
I've been visiting Starbucks locations faithfully since 1996, my first year in the working world, when I lived in the direct center of a triangle of locations in South Miami. My friend M. from college worked at one, so I would inevitably stop by on my way home from school every week and she would take her break while I was there. I returned to my college campus three years ago or so and found, directly across from the entrance to the library, a *$. Yes, indeed. Thank goodness I missed the advent of the chain onto my campus or I really would've needed a second job.
Of late, I have been paying particular interest to the marketing tactics of the company as they are seemingly affected by the current recession. Two events occurred this week which are relevant. On Monday, I stopped by a Pasadena location and ordered a tall iced nonfat decaf mocha with peppermint syrup (two pumps). The girl behind the counter repeated my order and proceeded to charge me $2.25 for a triple macchiato. My drink would've cost $3.30. hmmm. Could this be one reason the company is not meeting projected profits? The next day, I stopped at my local outlet for a tall nonfat decaf cappucino for the ride into Pasadena.
(Just so you know, dear reader, I do not have a daily habit. I was treating myself in order to get through the last two days of the Design-Based Learning workshop located 32 miles each way from my dear quiet valley.)
Anyway, when I received my receipt, I was told that I could return after 2 pm for any cold grande drink and pay only $2.00.
Who can resist this marketing ploy? It will be hot after 2 pm, I told myself. I will still have to drive 32 miles, I thought. So, all of a sudden, it became a twice daily habit. Of course, after ordering my grande iced nonfat decaf caramel macchiato (and enjoying it not just during the commute but also for dessert later that night. While sipping my last delightful swirly mouthful of icy espresso and caramel, I proclaimed to my husband: "I am enjoying *$ latest marketing ploys, but I am done!" I now have no 32 mile commute to rationalize a daily visit. If you have any other ways I can rationalize one, please leave a comment.
Next time: the allure of the Starbucks cup, cupwrap, and straw. (and have you ever heard of a spillstick?)
No comments:
Post a Comment