Tuesday, July 10, 2007

last post today,i promise

can you tell I'm not working this summer? hee-hee. Really, I'm sort of trapped upstairs today while the flooring guys finish up the laminate...we're really happy with it! Thursday the carpet is coming...oh what am I going to do with everything that is sitting on the floor? oh, well. So, I just wanted to brag on my guy a little more, though he's pretty humble and will probably ask me to remove the post later. It's a family joke that he's a walking thesaurus, literally, his vocabulary is pretty much unlimited. Somehow, he always seems to know the meanings and pronounciations of the most idiosyncratic, uncommonly used words such as "piebald" (having irregular patches of two colors, typically black and white) and "synaesthesia" (joined sensation). Yesterday, for example, the following conversation took place during dinner:

me: so I was reading an interesting article today about people who associate letters and words with particular colors.
I forget what they called it.

D.: oh...synaesthesia.

me: (eyes wildy blinking) YES, that's it. How did you...?

D.: (blushing) It's just really interesting. There is this musician who sees colors when he hears musical notes. It's pretty wild.

me: you're pretty wild.

So, readers, not only does he have a wide variety of words under his command, he can also "apply"* and "synthesize"* the information by providing applicable examples. That's hot. I love this guy.

*see "Bloom's Taxonomy"

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Hi. Quite by random chance, you have been tagged by me. Do with it what you will.

Nice blog, by the way. :)

Jeff

at Psychosomatic Wit

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin