Monday, July 2, 2007

summertime!


me on gramma jo's front porch...age 7? (ormsby, pa 1979)

Fall has always been my favorite season. Crisp air, pumpkins, birthdays... But not anymore. Summer is officially my favorite season, hands down. It hit me during my twilight walk in our little park tonight. All the summer memories flooded back like "so many swallows to Capistrano" (D's contribution) (Ok, I will refrain from asking for more similes; I think the paint fumes have gotten to him. just kidding!) Anyway, I always sort of took summer for granted; especially with all the summer oriented marketing and advertising. Over the years, I'd forgotten that it really IS a more relaxed time of year, with daylight lasting so long and people outside in the evenings. So here are my favorite summer memories:

mowing my gramma jo's huge yard on the ancient red riding mower (usually co-piloting)

grandma p's strawberry-rhubarb pie

pony cart rides in ormsby

dad's side family reunions: you could count on swimming and eating!

girl scout camp/ adventures (Yee-haw Phyllis! It's a girls RO-DE-O!)

Fourth of July parade in Stow, Ohio (the original hometown)

reading at night with the square fan in the window blowing RIGHT on me!

reading "A Cricket in Times Square" on a porch swing in Pittsburgh during a rainstorm (age 9)

Now it's your turn!

Come on, what makes a summer day ( or evening) JUST right for you? Do tell!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin